Jr. Leadership Jones
Junior Leadership Jones is a leadership development program for students from the Jones County High School sponsored by GCAPS and the Gray/ Jones County Chamber of Commerce.
Juniors and Seniors from Jones County High School can apply for who can miss five (5) days of class without jeopardizing their required classwork. Approximately 20 students are selected each year through our application process. Junior Leadership does not cost any money and sessions begin in September and continue to April.
Jr. Leadership Jones
Do I have to already be a leader to participate?
No, leadership skills can be learned and improved when nurtured.
What are the benefits of participating in Junior Leadership Jones?
To develop leadership skills. Meet with local community leaders while visiting Jones County and City governments, businesses, industry, educational programs, and community agencies. Great addition on a college resume. Expand your network.
What Leadership Skills will be taught?
Junior Leadership Jones will teach team building, meeting and events management, effective communication, time and Information management, money management, developing the leader within You, and understanding yourself as a leader.
Who are the instructors?
The instructors for Junior Leadership Jones will be Local business and community leaders.
WHERE DOES JUNIOR LEADERSHIP TAKE PLACE?
Most field trips will take place in Jones County at businesses and community agencies. There will be a few out-of-town field trips. You will be notified ahead of time about all out-of-town field trips, and they will each require a signed permission slip.
What is a typical junior leadership jones day?
8:30 AM Meet at designated space in High school
8:45 AM Leadership Training by Community Leader
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM Lunch & meet in project groups
12:30 PM – 2:45 PM Community Field Trips
*Please note that some days/sessions will be extended beyond the normal time frame.
Is lunch provided?
Yes, at no cost to the participant (pizza, subs, hamburgers, etc.)
Will participants be marked absent for class days missed?
No, Junior Leadership Jones is a school-approved educational program. Your absence will be considered a field trip.
are students responsible for making up missed school work?
Yes, students need to work with classroom teachers to make up or do ahead of any class work.
How can i find more about junior leadership jones?
Contact Jones County Chamber of Commerce at 478-986-1123 or firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Participants will report for all sessions at the Jones County High School College and Career Academy located at 339 Cumslo Road in Gray (unless an alternate location is needed). Morning snacks and lunch will be provided for all five sessions. There is a $20 registration fee. This fee will need to be paid at the Program Orientation Meeting on September 14. Checks should be made out to the Jones County Chamber. Checks only*
2. Most sessions will begin promptly at 8:30 AM and end at 2:45 PM, except those indicated as an extended session. Transportation will be provided for community and agency tours. *Please note that some sessions may extend beyond the normal time frame due to distance, timing of meetings, etc. (Atlanta, Savannah).
3. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend a Program Orientation September 14 at 6:00 p.m. in the Jones County High School College and Career Academy Community Meeting Room at the front entrance of the high school. Orientation will last 45 minutes to an hour.
4. Casual Business attire is appropriate for all sessions. All participants will receive a shirt to wear to all sessions. Comfort should be remembered, as many of the tours require a lot of walking. Wear comfortable shoes. No jeans with rips and tears, flip flops, or shorts. Since some of the visits include an industrial setting, participants may be asked to wear pants with no holes, close-toed shoes, etc.
5. All participants are reminded that they are responsible for notifying teachers about their absences and for maintaining their academic work while participating in this program. At no time will participation in Junior Leadership Jones be a valid excuse for failure to meet class requirements.
6. With scholarship(s) being provided to a successful graduate or graduates of the program, attendance will be monitored. Attendance at all sessions and activities is required for students to successfully graduate from the program. The Board will review only absences necessitated by extenuating circumstances.
7. Students need to be prompt to all sessions. Community leaders providing the Leadership Skills Training will begin promptly at 8:45 AM.
8. Always remember that most sessions are in places that conduct business.
9. Students and Parents: Direct any questions concerning Junior Leadership Jones/ GCAPS
to the Jones County Chamber at (478)986-1123 or email@example.com.
We trust your participation in Junior Leadership Jones will be a rewarding experience.